Thursday, March 31, 2016

FRJ's Best of 2015 Awards (Film List)

I love making lists.

To many reviewers they're practically chores, but, to me, they’re a ton of fun, as well as an expressive way to showcase opinions (particularly since I decline to use a rating system).  The “Best of ___ Awards” has been something I’ve wanted to make since creating this blog; think of it as a much grander version of the previous years’s Specific Awards: showcasing the best in genres, series, features, performances, scenes, and even television.

That’s right, for the first time ever I’m giving my two cents on the best 2015 TV seasons.  Keep in mind, my scope with television is nowhere as vast as it is with film.  I’m a much bigger snob when it comes to TV, and will give the show up after a few episodes if it disinterests and/or frustrates me.  So while I’ve seen over a hundred 2015 films, I’ve only finished around ten or so 2015 shows.

IMPORTANT: There's a reason I have my blog initials (FRJ) at the title's front: these are all my opinions, and are in no way meant to represent a majority decision or general consensus.

Now then, LET’S BEGIN!

Honorable Mentions: Good Dinosaur (The)Hotel Transylvania 2

Animated Short:
Frozen Fever

Honorable Mentions: Cosmic Scrat-tastrophe, Sanjay's Super Team

Comedy:
Spy

Honorable Mentions: TangerineTrainwreck

Coming of Age:

Documentary:
Batkid Begins


Honorable Mentions: None

Drama:
Honorable Mentions: End of the Tour (The)Girlhood

Eye Candy:
*Most Visually Appealing
Honorable Mentions: Clouds of Sils MariaMad Max: Fury Road

Horror:
Honorable Mentions: SpringVisit (The)

Musical:
Honorable Mentions: None

Popcorn Flick: 
*Can be Enjoyed Anywhere in Any State of Mind
Honorable Mentions: Maze Runner: The Scorch TrialsVisit (The)

Romance:
Honorable Mentions: CarolTrainwreck


School-Related: 
*Focused on Elementary and/or Secondary School Lifestyle

Honorable Mentions: Dope, Paper Towns

Sequel:
Honorable Mentions: CreedTerminator Genisys

Sports:
Honorable Mention: Concussion

Superhero:
Honorable Mention: Ant-Man

Thriller:
Honorable Mentions: Ex MachinaIt Follows

Young Adult:
Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 2 (The)*(Technically Young Adult by Classification)

Honorable Mentions: Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, Paper Towns

Most Surprisingly Good Film:

Most Refreshingly Original Film:
Tangerine

Honorable Mentions: It FollowsMaggie

Most Impressive Performance:
Michael Shannon (99 Homes)

Honorable Mentions: Kristen Stewart (Clouds of Sils Maria & Still Alice), Michael Fassbender (Slow West & Steve Jobs), Sylvester Stallone (Creed)

Best Picture:
Honorable Mentions: 99 HomesCreed

Best Scene: 
Girlhood
I have many fond (and a few not-so-fond) moments from my teenage years, yet there’s one in particular that stands out as my definitive, nostalgic moment as a teenager.  It was during summer at the beach, in-between my sophomore-junior year; my good friend and I were hanging next door with several female acquaintances: on their rooftop patio overlooking the ocean.  It was a beautiful night, the girls were playing Chris Brown’s Forever on their speaker system, everyone drinking…lemonade—dancing around like fools without worry.  It was an unexpected moment where everything felt right: a scene I can always look back upon with blissful reminiscence.

It was this scene in Girlhood that struck a chord with me: the drinking, the dancing and the friendship all vividly evoked to that fond moment.  The directing, the music, the lighting—the way Marieme sits back to contemplate the moment before joining in herself—all beautifully captures the wonderment teenage youth can bring.  It was during this scene where I realized Girlhood was more than a good film: a film that not only understands teenagers, but universally connects them across gender, race, and nationality.


Best TV Seasons of 2015 (In Alphabetical Order):
I’d like to write how I analytically narrowed down my favorite television seasons to five, but, truthfully, it was going to be five no matter what.  Out of the ten or so shows I finished, only five ended up being very good to great—the others ranging from average to disappointing (I’m looking at you, Dragons: Race to the Edge).  Interestingly, all five shows ended up being comedy-dramas: the comedy being their selling point, with the drama acting as the backbone for character development and potency.

Better Call Saul: Season 1

BoJack Horseman: Season 2

Gravity Falls: Season 2

One-Punch Man: Season 1













Best Show of the Year:
Master of None: Season 1













And so ends my focus on 2015.  It took longer than expected, but hopefully it was worth the wait.  It’s time to turn my full attention to 2016’s roster, starting with a surprise early release.

Very Popular Posts