Thursday, January 29, 2015

Coherence (Quick Review)

On occasion there’s a film I can’t review in detail without spoiling; Coherence is one of those films.

Coherence is about a dinner-party group trying to make sense out of supernatural occurrences (hence the meaning of its title name) presumably caused by a passing comet…and that’s about all I can reveal without ruining the fun!  Such limitation makes it difficult to persuade you the reader into seeing the film, but perhaps I can appeal in a broader sense.  Coherence is a thriller in the truest sense of the word; its fear and excitement comes from built up atmosphere, held tightly together through a wickedly clever story-line.  The film fluently defines its characters and situation before diving into a series of twists and surprises which kept me on the edge of my seat.

Its characters are continuously discussing the possibilities of such strange supernatural occurrences, as well as the consequences (both negative and positive) their actions will have if (and when) they get involved; these discussions effectively build up later twists while amplifying the already occurring events.  I became immersed with the characters, their relationships, and their thought processes; there were times I felt a character was making a foolish decision, only for another to point out the logic behind such decision, only for ANOTHER to counter how the decision is indeed a mistake!  Each time the characters (and I) make coherent sense of the situation, an unforeseen factor would arise, throwing everything for a loop.  Ask yourself if you enjoy thrillers; if your answer is yes (and I hope it is) then I completely recommend watching Coherence.  Even if your answer is “sort of” or “not sure” I still recommend giving this film a try; it’s an utterly entertaining thriller with a deliciously thought-provoking plot.  Go watch it yourself to see what the hell I’m talking about. 

Very Popular Posts