Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Jack the Giant Slayer (Quick Review)

Author’s Note:  While writing a film review isn't a particularly difficult effort (Mine consists mostly of the plot of the film followed by my own opinion) it is an exhaustingly lengthy one.  I often try to write reviews of at least 800 words, and I normally end up writing much more than that.  Normally I end up revisiting/polishing the review 2-3 times before publishing, and even then I may go back to fix it more.  As such I decided to start new posts called quick review(s); where I write more concise reviews on a film I've seen recently that I just don’t have the time to write a longer review for.  More often than not these reviews will consist of films already out of theater that I either rented or watched on Netflix/On Demand.  This will allow me to give thoughts on many other films while I also continue writing full reviews/analysis on others.


Jack the Giant Slayer is a film filled with energy and loads of fun to watch!  The recent craze of taking old fairy tales and recreating them into action packed thrill rides staring well known actors has lead to many films ranging from decent to subpar (Red Riding Hood, Snow White and the Huntsman, Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters, etc…)  By far out of all of them, Jack the Giant Slayer stands out for me as one of the better adaptations; and it goes to show that sometimes energy is all it takes to make a good film.  Now that’s not to say the energy makes the film’s flaws invisible; the plot lacks major development between its characters, especially between the two lead’s romance.  However, you know when someone says “that film’s cast and crew must have had a great time making (insert film here)"; well this film’s made for that statement.  

The characters, played by the likes of Nicholas Hoult, Ian McShane, and Ewan McGregor, are bound with energy and life that livens up the action and makes the comedy better.  My favorite is Stanley Tucci as the king’s evil advisor, Lord Roderick.  Normally a character like this would tick me off the wrong way; but Tucci’s performance is simply too enjoyable and funny to dislike.  Every line said, no matter how cruel or despicable, made me smile or laugh (watch the scene where Roderick pushes one of his guards off a ledge and observer just how he acts out the scene; it’s devilishly delectable).  Everyone just looks like their having a ball with this film, and it pays off too.  The action scenes are more entertaining, the comedy is funnier, and the characters (no matter what lack of development) are likable in their own unique ways.  If you're looking for a fun, action-packed retelling of a classic fairy tale, then look no further than Jack the Giant Slayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Very Popular Posts